Our practice areas
At G.A. Sarpong & Co we know how to help individuals and families go through difficulties when family issues arise. Our team of lawyers pride themselves in the pragmatic application of the law in defending and protecting the rights and interests of our clients.
Embedded in our practice are Property Settlement, Divorce, Maintenance, Custody, Adoption, Probate and Letters of Administration, Caveats, Wills, Assents and Powers of Attorney, inter alia.
It has become important for intellectual property rights to be considered in business transactions in recent times. As a preliminary issue therefore, it is critical for businesses to regularly review the security of their intellectual property rights over their branding or processes to ensure that those rights will continue to belong to them at the time they go to sell. No longer can you assume that you have the rights to do something – you need to take active steps to protect these rights.
We recommend that you contact us to arrange an appointment to discuss whether your business has intellectual property rights that need to be protected in a more secure fashion than is currently the case.
Whether you are buying or selling property we can advise you - from undeveloped land to buildings or major infrastructure. If you have a property portfolio to manage or a project to build, we can assist. We have extensive experience in contract and funding negotiations for asset sales/purchases, due diligence processes and associated advice.
We regularly act for major landlords and tenants across Ghana in complex leasing arrangements and design/build/lease arrangements. If you intend to subdivide or subsequently deal with your assets, we understand the issues you will be facing and can help you efficiently complete your project.
We can help with your ongoing property portfolio management too. Our legal experts provide consistent quality advice for both individual and team work. In addition we can help your banker or financial advisor - because we have extensive experience working alongside funders and bankers on development projects of all sizes and complexity.
Banking & Finance
We advise on the full range of banking and finance activities undertaken in Ghana. Our lawyers work on many of the most innovative financing transactions in the Ghanaian market and advice on the most complex of regulatory issues.
Some of the more significant specialised areas of expertise within our practice are listed below. In addition, we also regularly act for banks and financial services providers on issues such as regulatory compliance issues, enforcement of guarantees and security, negotiation disputes, employment disputes, insolvency issues, breach of confidence and defamation claims as well as discovery orders.
Our areas of practice cover:
• Asset Finance & Leasing
• Corporate Banking
• Debt Securities
• Financial Services Regulation
• Offshore banking
• Investment Management
• Investment Funds Listing
• Investment Intermediaries
• Stock Exchange Listing Services
• Leveraged & Acquisition Finance
G.A Sarpong & Co offers a wide range of transactional work in our Corporate Practice. Our lawyers take a pragmatic approach to solving problems and helping our clients plan ahead.
We provide a full range of legal services covering:
• Business formation / Incorporation
• Organization and structure
• Preparing operating or shareholder agreements
• Succession planning
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Joint ventures and partnership transactions
• Labour Agreements
• Transfer Agreements
• Document Review
• Liquidations & Winding Up
G.A Sarpong & Co works collaboratively with our clients to develop practical and creative solutions to environmental issues using our legal skills, experience, industry and international expertise. We help clients formulate strategies to address previously unrecognized environmental risks and opportunities.
Our services include advice on domestic and international corporate transactions, regulatory compliance matters, regulatory and government coordination activities, as well as representation in environmental litigation and alternative dispute proceedings. We advise a broad range of clients, including corporate entities, industrial facilities, land owners, real estate developers, lenders and trade associations, hospitals, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, governments and international organizations.
Our comprehensive expertise include:
• Providing regulatory compliance advice to industries
• Advising boards of directors and management of environmentally-sensitive industries
• Designing and participating in environmental management systems, environmental, assessments and audits and other due diligence tools
• Restructuring property sale or purchase so as to minimize environmental liabilities
• Advising on the applicability of insurance coverage for environmental liabilities
• Acting as counsel in the review of various projects under environmental assessment regulations
• Negotiations with regulatory officials to define permit requirements
• Conducting appeals on environmental legislation
• Acting as counsel for parties engaged in civil litigation and private arbitrations
• Defending clients charged with environmental offences
• Advice on the domestication of international environmental law in areas including Food Safety &Security, Animal & Plant Health, Land & Land Use, Water Management and irrigation
• Project Evaluation
Our experience enables us to offer a wide range of services in the finance and investment areas. We have an in-depth knowledge of investment opportunities in Ghana.
Our services include:
• Public and Private Company finance and capital raising
• Commercial and domestic property finance
• Project financing
• Mortgage financing
• Negotiation and preparation of loan and security documentation
• Overseas investment
• Property Management
• Investment advice
G.A. Sarpong & Co maintains strong and on-going professional relationships with our clients, to ensure they can achieve their objectives.
Our Commercial Practice Covers:
• Consultancy agreements
• Distributorship agreements
• Franchise Agreements
• Product licenses
• Restrictive trade practices, resale price maintenance, refusal to supply
• Service agreements
• Strategic alliances
Litigation & ADR
G.A Sarpong & Co Litigation Services serves a wide range of local and international clients including: public and private companies and their officers, investment banking firms, commercial banks, investment advisers, public accounting firms, insurance companies, partnerships, individuals and public interest organizations.
Clients benefit from our extensive trial experience in complex civil matters, as well as our general negotiation and dispute resolution experience.
Over the years our paralegal staff and lawyers who have been involved in our litigation processes have gained valuable experience through the various roles they played prior to joining the firm. We undertake Litigation for the two biggest state owned banks and the biggest privately owned bank on the Ghana Stock Exchange
Our core areas of practice include:
• Advising Directors, Partners and Trustees on their obligations and potential liabilities in corporate and collective investment vehicles
• Advising Shareholders, Beneficiaries and Creditors on their rights and remedies in corporate and collective investment vehicles
• Advising on the enforceability of judgments and Arbitral awards within Ghana
• Asset tracing, protection and interlocutory applications for restraint orders and other injunctions
• Individual bankruptcy and corporate insolvency
• Banking including Debt Recovery for Banks
• Contractual disputes, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims